Iban land activists detained for ‘gang robbery’
Tony Thien Jan 23, 09 11:46am
Source: Malaysiakini

Three Ibans, actively involved in a struggle to keep a plantation company out of their Native Customary Rights (NCR) land, have been detained under the Emergency (Public Order and Prevention of Crime) Ordinance 1969 for suspected gang robbery.

The three are members a longhouse chief’s family and include a young mother.

They are presently being held in a police station in Bintulu. Under the ordinance they can be detained for up to 60 days while police continue with investigations.

In an appeal letter to the inspector-general of police and other relevant authorities, Sahabat Alam Malaysia (SAM) president, S.M. Mohamed Idris, called on the authorities to immediately release the trio - Bunya Ak Sengoh, Marai ak Sengoh and Melati Ak Bekeni - if the police do not have any strong evidence against them.

“We regard their arrest under the emergency ordinance as strange and against human rights. It is an action that is most unfair and injust.

Land dispute with BBC Estate VII
“As far as we are aware, such emergency laws should only apply to illegal activities and serious crime that threaten national security and peace,” he added in the letter made available today by SAM Sarawak Co-ordinator Jok Jau.

Jok Jau told Malaysiakini that initially seven, including a child, were picked up by police near their house in Batu Lapan in Bintulu on Dec 26, 2008 following a report of a gang robbery in town.

Three other people, believed to be foreigners, were also arrested separately.
Among the Ibans arrested on Boxing Day and remanded in police custody were Bunya Ak Sengoh, Marai Ak Sengoh, Elizabeth Ak Sebi, Melati Ak Bekeni, Roland Ak Jau, Spencer Ak Jampi and Victoria Gundu Ak Marai.

“Until today, the police have failed to find any evidence to charge them. We find no reason for the arrest,” the Marudi-based SAM co-ordinator said.

He said Spencer was released on Jan 7, Roland and Elizabeth were released on Jan 14 but Bunya, Marai and Melati were re-arrested on Jan 15 under the emergency ordinance.
Tuai Rumah Sengoh from Sg Pinyo, Pandan in Kemena and his people have been actively defending their NCR land from encroachment by a plantation company. The case has also gone to court.

Call for probe into detention of trio

The Iban chief is the father of Bunya and Marai and Melati is his daughter-in-law.
“Sengoh has a land dispute with BBC Estate VII Sdn Bhd at 8th Mile Bintulu Road,” Jok Jau said.
Meanwhile, in his appeal letter to the Malaysian human rights organisation, Suhakam, Tuai Rumah Sengoh Ak Sabang called on Suhakam to conduct an immediate investigation into the detention of the trio under the emergency ordinance. It was done without any justification whatsoever, he added.

He said they were initially held under Section 117 of the Penal Code from Dec 26, 2008 until Jan 14, 2009 on suspicion of being involved in a series of gang robberies in Bintulu and other places.
On January 15, 2009, the trio were detained under the emergency ordinance while the rest were released on police bail.
He denied any member of the family had been involved in any of the activities as alleged and that he believed the action against his family members had resulted from the many reports he had made to the police regarding the encroachment into their NCR land by the plantation company.

My view:
The police is not being fair to the people affected by the big companies. Are the companies paying their salaries?

Hannah Yeoh, we love you..

RPK seemed to be fond of Hannah Yeoh.... now i know why.

The look?

The cili padiness?

or is it plain men testestrone?

For me, I was surprised to find out that this first term Subang Jaya MP has a blog and in her blog, it detailed out her spending for her constituency .. sen by sen. Have you ever seen such a rational accounting of a politician? My first and am impressed.

Check out her spendings here.

My observation of the Kuala Terengganu By election

To the readers, early wish of a blessed New Year. Have a cow of the new year.

The new job did not allow me to spend enough time to blog. And when i am back home or not travelling, have not the luxury to spend time writting articles. Yet, would just like to share my personal thoughts on the Kuala Terengganu by election last week that was won by PAS and its aftermath.

10 observations
1. MSM that spinned an UMNO win kept the news small when PAS won. Sore loosers.

2. UMNO to accept the defeat and work on change? People are still pointing fingers at each other. Good riddance.

3. Najib would not be able to bring about the necessary change. He plays safe.

4. Najib forsake his job as the Economic minister at a crucial time when our economy is stagnating even at a by election that is 'not important'.

5. Estimated between RM500 million to RM1 billion is thrown to the KT by election without results.

6. Too many luxury cars and police outriders blocking the road. Someone nearly died in Pahang when hit by a lorry as the junction is blocked for VIP to pass through.

7. Wan Farid is just an appointed senator who got lucky knowing the right people.

8. Terengganu chinese swings back to Barisan for economic reasons & probably not hudud. MCA is trumpetting as their achievement without wanting to know the real reasons. They will continue to loose support.

9. By elections are good. We almost have our electricity tariff lowered.

10.MCAC is confirmed toothless. It dares not act against many complaints of money politics in KT.

Fastest decision maker in 2009

Goes to Hishammuddin Hussein!!!

Selain itu, Hishammuddin juga mengumumkan nama Razali akan diabadikan di sebuah maktab perguruan di utara bandar raya Kuala Terengganu dan sekolah menengah di kawasan parlimen ini.Institut Perguruan Kuala Terengganu di Batu Rakit akan dikenali Institut Perguruan Dato' Razali Ismail dan Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Bandar di Kg Gong Tok Nasek ditukar kepada SMK Dato' Razali Ismail berkuatkuasa Jumaat ini, 24 jam sebelum hari pengundian 17 Januari ini. ( Malaysiakini)

I wonder if the school was told yet by the Education Ministry that they would be called differently in 2 days time? Am sure that Hisham would have ordered a different plate for the school, give money to change all the buku latihan, t-shirts, logos and school uniforms. hehe. Hence, the title of the fastest ( does not necessary means the better) decision in 2009 belongs to him. His father would have been extremely proud.

Few days ago he directed 300 thousand teachers and 5 million students to demonstrate against Israel. Now , he arbitariry change names of schools. He decides like a communist, acts like a communist.

Recession or no recession?

(image ) Dun chee sak.
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 13 — Citigroup Global Market forecast that Malaysia will go into a technical recession likely in fourth quarter of 2008 and first quarter of 2009.

It also downgraded its gross domestic forecast (GDP) for 2009 to 0.5 per cent from 3.1 per cent.
The government official GDP forecast is 3.5 per cent.
In a media briefing on Malaysia’s Market Outlook for 2009 here today, it said that there could be a cut between 50-75 basis point in overnight policy rate in the first quarter of 2009.
According to Citigroup, GDP for 2010 is estimated at 4.2 per cent, while fiscal balance is forecast at minus five per cent in 2009 and minus 4.5 per cent in 2010.
GDP for quarter four 2008 is forecast at two per cent.

Despite the downgrade forecast by Citigroup, Second Finance Minister Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yakcop was earlier reported as saying that the government was confident that the country would not be experiencing a technical recession this year.

He said the country’s economic growth was expected to stay positive during the period from January to June this year based on the equity of the financial system which exceeds 13 per cent, total liquidity which is in billions of ringgit and the low non-performing loan (NPL) rate which is at about 2.5 per cent.

Abdullah Ahmad Badawi "We are not having too much problem in the fourth quarter. Even the growth at two percent in the quarter, it would give us an average of more than five percent," he told reporters after opening the permanent secretariat of the World Islamic Economic Forum (WIEF) Foundation. ( Bernama)

Malaysia’s industrial output, which fell 7.7% in November last year from the same month in 2007, was worse than economists’ consensus estimates of a 6.4% fall. ( Star) - and will surely fall more in December 08, which means a high probability of a negative quarter.

Najib, Nor Yaakob and AAB has been championing the idea that Malaysia is insulated from the global recession/ depression since last year. Citing the strategy to sell products to China and India, they were not bothered to access the reality that both countries are also feeling a squeeze. Only at the end of the year, some conceded that there is very small, indirect effect but not the R-word. Recession is impossible! Especially during a by election. Hence, we are in the middle of January 2009 and the EPU has not submitted any data on the last quarter of 2008. Who wants to bet that the news won't be any good?

p.s. Singapore is transparent about its economic data when it showed its citizen that it was in recession and here are the plans. ( retraining, welfare, union enagement etc.). The Malaysia's ministry of labour till now has not come out with the framework on the retrenchment fund & guess the other ministers are still sleeping.

When Malaysian schoolchildren are forced to demonstrate


Gaza madness has invaded our schools - www.malaysiakini.com

Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) today slammed Education Minister Hishammuddin Hussein for plans to use schoolchildren to protest against the on-going crisis in Gaza. In a statement issued today, the party’s secretary-general, S Arutchelvan, said the organisers of the protest could also be accused of ‘exploiting’ the children, just like Jaringan Rakyat Tertindas (Jerit) had been previously. Yesterday, English-daily New Straits Times reported that the education minister is planning a nation-wide protest against Israel’s actions in Gaza, involving about five million children and 360,765 teachers from more than 10,000 schools. Hishamuddin said the protest would prepare them for "global issues like peace, environment and the economic crisis". Arutchelvan, however, was not amused with the statement, arguing that the minister should get parental consent before involving children in such "dangerous" activities. "Do the children have consent from their parents as it seems that the minister has made the decision without even consulting the parents." (Source: Mkini)

JERIT got the brunt of the accusations by UMNO and Utusan for allegedly mis-using minors to demonstrate. Teenagers of 15-20 years old made their decision with their parent's consent yet they were caught by police and subjected to massive intimidation by the police force. The CPO of Selangor even claimed that the Sultan of Selangor is upset at the organisors. I wonder if the Sultan of Selangor is going to feel when 5 million schoolchildrens are forced to assemble or walk on the streets against their will and without their parent's approval.

  • How can they be forced not to go to classroom on a schoolday when their primary task is to learn?
  • And even if it is on a weekend, can the school authority force these children to participate?
  • Are we teaching our children that demonstrations are ok, if government says so?

Here lies the hypocrisy of the current government. Children from primary and even until university are given the green light to engage in demonstration against Israel. Again, we are missing the forest for a tree. The decision makers are making a huge mistake by using a communist approach for a democratic right.

Boycott computers

Some Malaysians are like herds. When Dr Mahathir suggests that we boycott US products, the whole institution runs like dogs to come out with programmes and action plans. Soon, they will have groups of people checking the source of products or stationed outside KFC/ McD to pressure people to comply on the ban. Don't these group of people think?

My stand on the Israel attack is consistent with my stand on the attack on Iraq, that it is inhumane. Yes, I am a christian yet did not support the Iraq war of Bush ( which he tried to legitimize as a God demand) nor Israel war ( to me, they are more zionist in this aspect).

Yet, I dun see the same reaction of this group of people if sufferings are inflicted to the non Muslims. We send help to Indonesia ( Acheh) but not to Thailand or Sri Langka post asian tsunami. The same group of "this is not religion, not about Islam, but about human rights" kept quiet when Buddhist monks got whacked in Myammar, Arab descent Somalians terrorising local Africans or Christians got murdered in Indonesia / India.

So, keep up the boycott threats each and everytime something that does not favour them. They use the same concept like the Zionist behaviours, of course the zionists have guns & all. With their energy, they can ask for more donations and use the opportunity to do real relief works that will impact the Palestinians.

Why not Dr M boycott Blogspot ( american mah) where is famous Chedet resides and use local IC to power up his own laptop? Didn't he sanctioned TPM to do research on local IC project that spend millions of ringgit but without any return?

Boycotting US products a really dumb move for Malaysia

I pray that the attacks will cease and there is determination for peace.

Catholic publication in Malaysia partially banned.

My first posting for the new year would reflect on 2 issues.

Firstly, why am I never invited for sex parties like this (http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/1/2/nation/2931463&sec=nation)? I think I am with the wrong crowd.. hehe.

Interestingly, those who goes for these drug and alcohol parties would surely not be bothered with more 'important' stuff around. Their important stuff would differ from mine. Now it makes sense why was I never invited for such things.. kekek

Home Ministry bans Herald’s Malay supplement -Anil Netto

The bad news on New Year’s Day is that the approval comes with strings attached:

  • the Herald has to stop its Malay-language supplement. A typical edition of the weekly paper has 32 pages, including an eight-page Malay-language pull-out, three pages in Chinese and two pages in Tamil, with the rest in English.
  • the paper can only be sold in churches (I don’t think it’s being sold anywhere else at present)
  • The Herald must print clearly on the cover that the paper is only meant for Christians.
I do know the East Malaysians and most of the natives don't read Chinese and sometimes English. After years of Malaysianization, some of the younger ones would not be able to read their native language as well. And some groups would not have written format of their language. Isn't it weird that the single language promoted to bring the different races together is used to divide?

It is even weirder that the BN government continue to complain that Bahasa Malaysia is not widely used , not dimartabatkan yet they see fit to ban the usage of the same language that they want to promote. The Buddhist and Hindus do not have a lot of native believers so this ruling will not have big impact on them .

But for 1 million plus native Christians, these are huge ruling that will adversely impact their faith and their fundamental rights.

About Me

My photo
Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
I am mysterious ... and leave la some comments if my writting make sense. Proud Of Malaysia and disillusioned by the direction.